Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Remember Me?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53792/17-ancient-abandoned-websites-still-

This is a list of seventeen websites that are once popular, now abandoned websites that still work, people just forgot about them. I personally remembered the Space Jam website as well as the Amanda Please website.

I think it's interesting that when something is placed on the Internet, or a website is created, like energy, it is never really destroyed. Even if a website is not maintained, or is not visited for years, it still exists, and someone can still reach the website if they are really trying to. I remember using Neopets, and other websites that are probably no where near as popular now as they were when I was a child, but they still exist.

The semi-permanence that websites have on the Internet is both appealing and frightening. Some websites should not exist forever, but they inevitably will. The website I created in middle school still exists, and was almost too easily found when I googled it. I wish that would stay far more hidden in the depths of the Internet. On the other hand, the Internet is so reliable in its ability to keep information and websites, that it is a great storage place so that information, photographs, etc. cannot be easily destroyed, even if a computer or piece of technology goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment